© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and International Trade Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan attend an event to promote British businesses, at Downing Street, London Britain May 9, 2022. REUTERS/Toby Melville
LONDON (Reuters) – A British government source described as “not correct” a report that Prime Minister Boris Johnson is planning to announce on Friday that he will breach post-Brexit treaty obligations under the Northern Ireland Protocol.
Earlier on Tuesday, ITV (LON:ITV) television’s political editor Robert Peston said the government would say it was suspending border checks on goods flowing from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.
Asked about the report, Johnson’s office said: “No decisions have yet been taken on the way forward however the situation is now very serious.”
UK source says report of plan to breach post-Brexit treaty is not correct